Pollo alla Romana, or Roman chicken, is a wonderful, savory dish made with braised chicken and roasted peppers. A spice rub mixture of rosemary, sage, and oregano add extra flavor to the chicken itself, while tomato sauce, garlic, and white wine make up a mouth-watering sauce.
This is a classic Roman dish that you will see in many trattorias. Roman chicken is fresh, colorful, and flavorful. The aroma of the roasting peppers is enough to make your guests come running to the kitchen to taste what is cooking in the oven.
This dish is so simple to prepare, and it will introduce you to the tastes of central Italian cuisine. In Sicily, they have a similar recipe, but they substitute vinegar for wine and add raisins to give it a distinct flavor. I know your family and guests will enjoy this delicious chicken and roasted peppers recipe.
For this roman chicken recipe, use bell peppers of all different colors for a bright, attractive presentation, and serve with rice pilaf or risotto and plenty of ciabatta bread to soak up the sauce. Or serve it with this Carciofi alla Romana side dish for a complete Roman meal.
Roman Chicken - Pollo alla Romana
- 4 chicken leg quarters
- 4 bell peppers yellow, orange, red, green. Cut in thick strips
- 1 cup tomato sauce fresh
- 1 cup basil leaves fresh
- 5 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 4 large garlic cloves smashed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine like pinot grigio
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- to taste Salt
- pepper pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and add 4 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the dry herbs with salt and pepper.
- Coat each piece of chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Sprinkle the spice rub over the chicken and massage well.
- Place the chicken skin-side down in the skillet and cook for 6 minutes or until browned. Turn the chicken over and cook for 1 additional minute. Transfer to a dish and set aside.
- Add the garlic to the pan and sauté for 1 minute, stiring continuously. Stir in the bell peppers, salt and pepper, and half of the basil.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Uncover, add the tomato sauce and wine, and cook until the alcohol evaporates.
- Transfer the peppers and sauce to a roasting pan, add the chicken, and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Remove from the oven, add the rest of the basil, cover with foil, and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Other meat recipes: