Similar to minestrone, this hearty, authentic Italian bean soup is perfect for a chilly evening.
A thick slice of toasted bread, or crostino, adds crunch, and canellini beans provide an excellent source of protein and a creamy texture.
Garlic, rosemary, and a pinch of Calabrian red pepper flakes give this soup its delicious, comforting flavor. If you have some on hand, you can even garnish each bowl with a sprinkle of grated pecorino romano.
Tip: After soaking the beans, remember to drain off the starchy liquid and rinse the beans well before adding them to the soup pot.
This soup is a variation of the classic pasta e fagioli, but it is made without the addition of pasta.
The grilled crostino soaks up the broth and adds to the comforting feeling you get when enjoying this dish.
It’s a perfect main course for a cold night, and it will keep you and your guests warm and completely satisfied. It is also very nutritious and vegan for your friends who do not eat meat. I know you will enjoy this recipe; please pass it along to your loved ones!
Zuppa di Fagioli con Crostino
- 1 large sprig fresh rosemary
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth low sodium or homemade
- 250 grams dried cannellini beans soaked overnight
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper freshly ground
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Heat 4 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic and saute until the mixture is tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add beans, broth and the sprig of rosemary. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Decrease the heat to medium-low and simmer until the beans are tender and creamy, about 20 minutes.
- Discard the rosemary, add the red pepper flakes and serve hot with a piece of grilled crostino.
FOR THE CROSTINO
- Cut a 2-inch square slice from a loaf of bread. Remove the crust.
- Grill until toasted, about 2 minutes on each side.
Other soup recipes: