Nonnabox.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Frying gnocchi is an unnecessary step, but it adds a nice golden color and deepens the flavor of the gnocchi. Fresh basil and grated pecorino Romano further add to the excellent taste of this comforting dish. Whether you start with a pile of potatoes or a packet of pre-made gnocchi, the result will be warm, buttery perfection. Serve as a light meal or alongside other dishes for a full, satisfying dinner.
This recipe couldn’t be simpler to make. If you can melt butter, you’ve pretty much mastered it already. If you want to try cooking like a real Italian, you can follow our upcoming step-by-step video on how to make the perfect gnocchi from scratch, which will really impress your guests. In the meantime, check out our step by step on how to make gnocchi.
But if you don’t have the time, you can buy good quality, pre-made gnocchi in your local supermarket’s refrigerated section or at an Italian specialty food store. Please do not buy the vacuumed-packed boxes of “gnocchi” that are not refrigerated; they will ruin the dish. This recipe is surprisingly light and delicious and is great as a weekend lunch or a lovely dinner course.
Pan-Fried Gnocchi with Butter & Basil
- 1 pound fresh gnocchi
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated pecorino Romano
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter until it starts to bubble, then add salt and pepper and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until they float to the top of the boiling water.
- Remove the gnocchi with a slotted spoon and place on a serving platter lined with a clean towel. Gently pat them dry.
- Transfer the gnocchi to the pan with the melted butter and sauté on one side for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Mix in the basil leaves and pecorino Romano and gently stir together.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve hot.