Looking for some healthy fare for a dinner party for friends and family? How about you try making this Mushroom and Kale Risotto recipe dish, which would make a perfect primo dish, especially if you have vegetarians among your dinner party guests.
Now, why exactly should you serve this risotto dish? Well, not only will the mushrooms lend your dish an earthy flavor, it also has a ton of nutritional value. Kale, on the other hand, may be a sort of “love ‘em or hate ‘em” type of vegetable but it is certainly worth the inclusion because of all the health benefits it can bring to you. So what are these health benefits, you ask? Read on to find out!
- Antioxidants – helps rid your body of free radicals, boosts your immune system, lowers inflammation, and has anti-cancer properties.
- Fiber – aids in the absorption of nutrients from food and aids digestion.
- Protein – an essential element for building bones, muscles, and various tissues as well as in the making of enzymes and hormones.
- Zinc – aids in the making of proteins and DNA, and boosts the immune system.
- Copper – an important mineral in the making of red blood cells and also boosts the immune system.
- Vitamins – has a range of essential vitamins such as vitamin B1 for your nerves and heart, vitamin B6 for your immune system and regulating your blood sugar, vitamin B9 for your liver, and vitamin B12 for nerve function, DNA synthesis, and red blood cells health.
- Protein – plays a significant role in building bones, muscles and tissues (same as above).
- Calcium – strengthens bones and prevents bone density loss. It also helps in blood clotting, and nerve and muscle function.
- Manganese – aids in forming connective tissues, bones, blood clotting capabilities, and sex hormones as well as helps in the absorption of calcium, metabolism of fat and carbs, and regulating blood sugar.
- Vitamins – also has a range of vitamins, just like mushrooms, such as vitamin A for your eyes, vitamin C for boosting the immune system and better absorption of calcium, and vitamin K for strengthening the bones and preventing heart disease.
Easy Mushroom and Kale Risotto Recipe
Now that we’ve established how super healthy this dish can be, let’s get right down to business: How to make Mushroom and Kale Risotto.
Mushroom and Kale Risotto Recipe
- Place broth in a medium sauce pan and heat to a simmer; reduce heat and keep warm.
- Clean and chop 2 cups mushrooms. Remove the stems from the kale and chop the leaves. Mince 1 shallot.
- In a large heavy-bottomed skillet, pot or Dutch oven, heat 2½ tablespoons butter over medium high heat. Add the shallot, mushrooms, kale, and ½ teaspoon kosher salt, reduce heat to medium, and cook until the shallots are translucent, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Add 1½ cups Arborio rice and stir to combine; cook for 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high and add ¾ cup white wine. Cook, stirring, until liquid is almost evaporated, a few minutes.
- At this point, you’re ready to start adding the broth. Add ½ cup warmed broth to skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until broth is almost absorbed. Repeat, gradually adding broth ½ cup at a time and stirring, until rice is tender but still al dente and sauce is creamy (you may not need all the broth). The process should take about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Stir in ¾ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Continue to stir until combined (or turn off the heat and cover the dish for a few minutes). Remove from heat and season to taste with kosher salt and pepper. Serve immediately, garnished with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
Now if you can’t get your hands on some kale, we also have a recipe for Risotto with porcini mushrooms. Check it out!