Last updated on April 27th, 2019 at 09:50 am
Potato and onion frittata is a delicious and rustic Italian recipe made with creamy potatoes, sweet caramelized onions and fluffy eggs, that is so easy to prepare.
Serve it as a weekend brunch dish with a fresh green salad and a glass of Prosecco, or in a smaller portion as an appetizer for a cocktail party.
You can improvise with the ingredients with what you have in your pantry, today I had some potatoes, onions and eggs and created this flavorful dish… Just follow the recipe below to enjoy it.
Onion Potato Frittata Recipe with Caramelized Onions
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Whisk together eggs, salt, pepper and freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Peel the potato and slice into 1/4 inch rounds.
- Place the cut potato into boiling salted water and blanch for 3 minutes, drain and transfer to a bowl of ice water.
- Slice the onion into thin slices.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a heavy, oven-proof 12-inch skillet that is 2 inches deep. Heat oil over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onion to the skillet and cook until soft, and caramelized.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Drain potatoes and pat them dry.
- Layer potatoes in the skillet overlapping them and cook over low heat for 1 minute.
- Add the caramelized onions evenly on top of the sliced potatoes.
- Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes and onions.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of thyme and reserve the other half for garnish.
- Cook over low heat until the eggs are almost set, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and firm.
- Put a serving plate on top of the skillet and flip so the frittata released from the pan and onto the plate.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes, garnish with the remaining thyme, then slice and serve.