Nonnabox.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Among the most diverse species of produce available in the market today are edible mushrooms. In Asia, much like in Italy, there are many traditional dishes that contain locally grown or harvested mushrooms. Some examples of these are shiitake, champignons, straw mushroom, and bamboo pith.
What is a Bamboo Pith?
Contrary to its name, this ingredient is not the pith, or any other part, of the bamboo plant. It is actually a type of mushroom that grows on bamboo plants. It often looks off-white to pale brown in color and is about 6cm in length. When it is dry, it looks like miniature loofah sponges. But when it is cooked, it looks like that synthetic netting or padding for fruits.
Easy Steamed Bamboo Pith Rolls Recipe
Bamboo pith or bamboo mushroom is an ingredient to many Asian dishes, particularly in Chinese cuisine. Before you can use it for cooking, however, you need to soak it for 4 to 5 hours. This is to not only soften it but also to remove any dirt.
Steamed Bamboo Pith Rolls Recipe
- 6-7 pieces bamboo pith
- 5 pieces dry mushrooms
- 30 grams carrot strips
- 30 grams celery strips
- 30 grams enoki mushrooms
- 50 grams bacon strips
- 5 grams white fungus soaked, cut small
- 1 tbsp wolfberry
- 250 ml chicken stock
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- Cornstarch solution 1 tbsp cornstarch with 2 tbsp of water
- Soak the bamboo pith until it softens, about 4-5 hours. Cut off both edges, rinse and drained.
- Stuff 1 strip each of celery, dry mushroom, enoki mushroom, carrot and bacon into the bamboo pith. Repeat the step until all ingredients are used up.
- Steam the rolls in the pre-heated steamer for 6 minutes, remove and set aside.
- Cook the chicken broth and seasoning until boiling, add in white fungus and wolfberry, cook for a while.
- Lastly, thicken with the cornstarch solution. Remove from heat, pour over the rolls, serve.