Last updated on April 29th, 2019 at 01:49 pm
One of the yummiest Italian grains with one of the most delectable edible bivalves, this Risotto with Scallops recipe makes a great primo dish. But why choose scallops, in particular, for your risotto dish? Read on to find out.
Scallops: The Versatile Seafood
There are a variety of edible scallops that are regularly harvested from the sea. The most common species is naturally tender and its flavor is delicate. Some species with orange or grey-pink shells may have more robust flavors though. But whichever type of scallops you use, they are quite versatile meats and can be great additions to any dish.
Easy Risotto with Scallops Recipe
As with all other Italian dishes, use of fresh ingredients is of the utmost importance. How to tell which ones are fresh? Choose those with a creamy to light greyish color. Also, take note of the smell. The less it smells, the fresher they are. Lastly, like other seafood, they tend to get bad quickly so make sure to cook and consume fresh scallops within 24 hours.
Risotto with scallops recipe
- On a pan fry the onion with a little butter and olive oil.
- Cut the scallops into pieces and add to the onion.
- Cook for a few minutes then add the rice and toast it. Pour in white wine and continue cooking, add a little at a time in the hot broth.
- Stir and add salt, black pepper and marjoram and pecorino.
- Serve the risotto with warm scallops in their shells.