I love the flavors and colors of vegetables in the Summer! Just seeing all the fresh and brightly-colored vegetables at the farmer’s market makes me want to create beautiful recipes. Roasting red peppers with the sweet cherry tomatoes, brings out their creaminess and flavor in a different way than just sautéing them. It becomes a colorful painting on the plate, and even more memorable when you’ve taken your first bite. This dish is so easy and so sweet and delicious, I know you will be making it all Summer long, and it’s even vegan. The recipe uses store bought fettuccine pasta, but if you feel adventurous and have enough time – don’t worry, it won’t be so time consuming – then you can even try to make fresh pasta using a pasta maker.
Fettuccine with Roasted Bell Peppers and Cherry Tomatoes
- 4 bell peppers 2red, 1yellow, 1orange cleaned and halved.
- 4 cloves garlic medium cloves minced
- 1 cup small grape or cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley fresh and chopped
- 2-1/2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons cup for roasting
- 3 teaspoons salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes crushed
- 12 oz. dried fettuccine
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano freshly grated
- With a kitchen knife halve the bell peppers.
- In a large shallow baking pan, put the the tomatoes and the halved bell pepper skin side up, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, add 1 teaspoon of salt and some freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Transfer to the oven and roast them for 30 minutes or until the skin chars just a little and start to peel off.
- Transfer on a large dish and let them cool down.
- Collect the oil from the baking pan and mix it with the 2 1/2 tablespoons unused. ( now you have 4 1/2 tablespoons of flavored olive oil)
- When cool, peel the skin off and julienne them.
- Collect all the tomatoes and set aside. (You don’t need to peel the tomatoes).
- Heat the mixed olive oils In a 12-inch skillet.
- Add the minced garlic and saute´ for 1 minute or less, do not burn it!
- Add the bell peppers and tomatoes and stir to incorporate.
- Add salt and pepper, the chili flakes and the vegetable stock, bring to a simmer cover and reduce the heat to medium low.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until the liquid reduces to half.
- Turn off the heat and add the parsley.
For the pasta
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the Fettucine and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente. (check the cooking time on the pasta box)
- Drain and transfer immediately to the skillet with the sauce, toss vigorously with tongs to coat and add the rest of the Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Serve on warm plates.
Other Italian pasta recipes:
- Spaccatelle pasta with tuna, artichokes and olives
- Strozzapreti pasta with squid and tomato sauce
- Penne Campagnola