Anelletti al Forno. From the city of Trapani in Sicily comes this delicious baked pasta dish, similar to a Baked Ziti, but with a smaller pasta shape. I switched out the usual meat sauce of pork and beef and used ground turkey, which is lighter and perfect for the hotter days of Summer. I sent Nonna the recipe to try…She made it, she ate it and gives it her stamp of approval!
Baked Anelletti Recipe - Anelletti al Forno - Timballo di Anelletti
- 1 pound Anelletti pasta
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 28- ounce cans San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground dark turkey meat
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 cup sliced ham diced
- 1 1/2 cup petite peas
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano freshly grated, reserve 1/4 cup for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350º
For the Meat sauce
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the the onion and peas.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion becomes soft and translucent about 10 minutes.
- Add the crushed San Marzano tomatoes, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer the sauce over low heat, covered for 15 minutes.
- While the tomato sauce is cooking, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey, thyme and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Break up the meat with a wooden spoon into very small pieces, and cook until it becomes slightly brown in color, about 7 minutes.
- Add the meat to the sauce.
- Simmer the sauce, covered, over very low heat, for 30 minutes, making sure that the sauce doesn’t get too thick.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
For the Pasta
- In a large pot, bring to a boil 6 quarts of salted water.
- Add the anelletti and cook for about 6 minutes, (you will be cooking the pasta again in the oven).
- Drain in a colander.
- Return pasta to the pot and mix in 2 cups of sauce and the diced ham.
- Into a greased 13 by 9-inch baking dish, pour half of the pasta with the sauce and sprinkle 1/2 cup of mozzarella and 4 tablespoons of Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Add 4 generous ladles of sauce.
- Pour the rest of the pasta on top and sprinkle with the rest of the mozzarella and Parmigiano and meat sauce.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes at 350º or until bubbling and the top turns golden.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the reserved Parmigiano cheese on top.
- Other baked pasta recipes:
- Baked penne pasta
- Baked Risotto with Kale
- Stuffed Shells Recipe with Ricotta, Prosciutto And Peas