Last updated on February 14th, 2019 at 09:29 am
Spiedini are a classic and loved by millions of people, whether they are Roman or not and we find them on restaurant menus all over the world. They may look quite tricky to make but they aren’t and the thing that makes it an even more desirable menu is that it really isn’t all that expensive because there’s no meat – unless you count four slices of prosciutto as meat. This is a must-have recipe.
Spiedini alla Romana Recipe - Mozzarella Skewers
- 4 slices white bread
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- flour for dredging
- 2 large eggs beaten
- vegetable oil
- 4 anchovy filets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place one slice of bread on working surface, then place 2 slices of prosciutto and 2 slices of mozzarella on top of bread and then place another slice of bread on top.
- Trim the crusts, cut in half forming 2 rectangles and place 2 toothpicks through each of the rectangular sandwiches to hold together.
- Repeat using other 2 slices of bread, mozzarella, and prosciutto.
- Dredge each spiedino in flour then dip in egg, covering all sides.
- Heat remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil in large sauté pan over medium heat. Heat about 3 inches of vegetable oil in a large sauté pan over high heat.
- Place spiedini in pan and fry on both sides until brown.
- Place them in serving plates and remove the toothpicks.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add anchovy filets and sauté until anchovies are heated through.
- Pour anchovy sauce over spedini and serve.
Other Roman recipes: