More primo dishes for your Italian dinners, let’s now present to you another risotto masterpiece, Risotto with Asparagus and Chicken.
The Versatile Meat
Chicken is among the most flavorful meats in the world. Why do you think chicken bouillon are among the most popular ingredients to main dishes? And if you have sampled an authentic Italian chicken cacciatore or any other simple chicken dishes, you’ll know what we’re talking about.
Moreover, it’s a very versatile meat. You can efficiently lend it any flavor you want, or add any sauce and it will still taste awesome, whether it’s Alfredo, pesto, or tomato-based. Clearly, you can do a lot of different things with chicken meat.
The Healthy Protein
On top of its wonderful and versatile flavor, chicken meat, especially the lean part and without the skin, is a much healthier fare than pork, beef, or any other red meat. And of course, since it is meat, it is still a good source of protein. So if you want to eat healthy, or just on a strict diet, chicken dishes are great and filling, without having to feel guilty about it. Although, if you really want healthy dishes, you have to make sure that the rest of the ingredients are also equally fresh and nutritious for the entire recipes to be “guilt-free,” as they say.
Other nutritional benefits chicken meat has are:
- Calcium – good for your bones, teeth, liver and kidneys. It also helps reduce the risk of bone diseases such as osteoporosis.
- Selenium – good for your metabolism and is an antioxidant, which has anti-cancer properties.
- Phosphorous – also good for the bones and teeth, as well as the heart. It also helps in the absorption of riboflavin and niacin.
- Riboflavin (vitamin B2)
- Vitamin A – very good for the eyes.
- Vitamin B6 – boosts energy and aids in metabolic cellular reactions. It’s also very good for keeping healthy blood vessels.
- Niacin (Vitamin B3) – has anti-cancer properties
- Homocysteine – an amino acid that is good for the heart.
Risotto with Asparagus and Chicken Recipe
Now, for a scrumptious chicken dish, here’s an authentic Italian risotto with asparagus and chicken.
Risotto with Asparagus and Chicken
- 400 grams of Carnaroli rice
- 500 grams of asparagus
- 200 grams of chicken boiled and cut into cubes
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 chopped golden onion
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Parmesan cheese
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- Wash the asparagus thoroughly under running water. Cut the woody stems and blanch for 5 minutes without breaking the tips.
- Cut the cooked asparagus in half, and set aside half of it. Blend the other half and also set aside.
- In a large skillet, add the chopped onion and add a little extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the pieces of steamed chicken. Cook for a few minutes, making sure to release all the delicious flavor.
- Next, add the rice and toast for a couple of minutes. Pour the white wine.
- Continue cooking the rice for about 20 minutes, adding a little broth at a time.
- Half-way through cooking, add the blended cream of asparagus.
- Once the rice is ready, stir in butter to taste and plenty of Parmigiano Reggiano (Parmesan cheese). Mix well and add salt to taste.
- Transfer cooked risotto on a bowl and place half of the cooked asparagus on top for garnish.