Last updated on March 16th, 2019 at 04:34 am
We talk all the time about how great homemade food is, not just because we consider cooking to be a relaxing and satisfying experience, but because it’s so much more budget-friendly than going out and spilling all your money at a fancy restaurant. Plus, it never hurts getting compliments from your friends and family–they’ll be talking for years about that delicious chicken cacciatore.
However, today we aren’t talking about chicken, but we go all in with THE Italian dish. Want a hint? When a moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie/ That’s amore. And if that wasn’t clear enough, here is another hint: we gave you an excellent marinara sauce recipe. Yep, it’s time to talk about what holds everything together–literally, so today’s article is about an authentic Italian pizza dough recipe.
Needless to say, the pizza is a symbol of Italian tradition, recognized worldwide. Its humble beginnings were as a loaf of bread, enriched with all sorts of ingredients. This has, of course, evolved over the years, but something that hasn’t really changed is the preparation of the dough itself. All you need is flour, water, yeast, and salt, which can be used in different quantities and forms, depending on how thin or thick you want your pizza to be. Our authentic Italian pizza dough recipe will give you a crispy base perfectly suitable to be covered with fresh tomato, mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil.
Authentic Italian Pizza Dough Recipe
- 1 kg flour 00
- 600 ml water
- 3 gr dried yeast
- 15 gr salt
- To prepare the dough for the pizza, start pouring the flour in a large mixer bowl.
- In a small bowl add luke-warm water and then add the yeast, mixing gently until the yeast is dissolved.
- Turn the mixer on with the hook mounted on medium-to-low speed and start pouring the water little by little, making sure you wait for the previous dose to be absorbed by the flour.
Keep kneading until the dough gets smooth and homogeneous. When it gets to that point, keep kneading for about 15/20 minutes.
- Add the salt and keep the mixer running until the salt is fully combined with the dough.
- When the salt is fully absorbed, remove the dough from the mixer and knead with your hands until you get a large ball.
- Place it in a large bowl, cover with foil or a clean humid cloth, then let it rise in the oven with the light on.
- Wait until the mixture has at least doubled in volume (after 1.5 h). Ideally, you should let it triple in size (at least 3 hours).
- Once the dough has risen, transfer it on a work surface.
- Divide it into 4 equal parts and shape them as balls using your hands. Once done, cover them with a clean cloth and let them stand for 30 minutes at room temperature, before using them to make your pizzas.
Extra tip: The key to get a pizza like in the picture above is to use a pizza stone trust me! It makes pizza just like your best pizzeria place. You would also need a wooden pizza peel to transport the pizza from the counter to the oven!
Needless to say, the recipe will be a success! Trust us, people will urge you to open your own pizza restaurant.