- 1 large sprig fresh rosemary
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth low sodium or homemade
- 250 grams dried cannellini beans soaked overnight
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper freshly ground
- pinch red pepper flakes
Heat 4 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic and saute until the mixture is tender, about 4 minutes.
Add beans, broth and the sprig of rosemary. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
Decrease the heat to medium-low and simmer until the beans are tender and creamy, about 20 minutes.
Discard the rosemary, add the red pepper flakes and serve hot with a piece of grilled crostino.
FOR THE CROSTINO
Cut a 2-inch square slice from a loaf of bread. Remove the crust.
Grill until toasted, about 2 minutes on each side.
Calories: 386kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 2622mg | Potassium: 1343mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 5936IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 184mg | Iron: 7mg