Nonnabox.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
“Red, red wine. Stay close to me,” , as the song says. However, we think stay close to my risotto is a far better option. Yes, once again we are tackling a risotto recipe, and this time it’s risotto with red wine (Risotto al vino rosso). You just can’t have too much risotto—not when there are countless ways to cook it and mix it up. And fortunately, the red wine goes perfectly with that creamy texture. It’s another recipe low in calories, clocking it at just below 300 kcal—290, to be more precise. And, like most risottos, it takes less than an hour to prepare and cook.
If you are worried about the wine, remember that red wine is being considered heart healthy (as long as it’s in moderation, obviously). Substances found in it—for instance, an antioxidant called resveratrol—reduce the chance of getting heart diseases. Heart diseases can also be prevented thanks to the high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol found in red wine. And don’t let cholesterol fool you—HDL is one of the good guys.
Risotto with red wine recipe
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil and keep it at a constant temperature. Pull the leaves from the thyme sprig.
- Melt the butter in a deep saucepan and add the onion and garlic. Do not toast. Afterwards, add the thyme, then add the rice and turn the heat down to a minimum. Add salt and stir to mix well.
- Place half of the red wine in the rice mix, increasing the heat. Keep stirring until completely absorbed. Add half the broth and cook over high heat, stirring constantly. When the broth is absorbed, pour the remaining wine.
- Finally, pour the remaining broth and cook the rice. Add more water if necessary - any kind of rice absorbs different amounts of liquid.
- Stir half of the Parmesan cheese with risotto, and use the rest to garnish the dish.
What do you think about the combination of red wine and risotto?