Last updated on February 26th, 2019 at 10:07 pm
I have a confession to make. I hate eggplants. I absolutely loathe eggplants and if you would trick me into eating them unknowingly, friendships could be broken—and I mean it. Okay, maybe I just thought I hated eggplants. When the idea of risotto with eggplant appeared right before my eyes, my first thought was, “Nope!” But then, something changed and I started to embrace the idea…with no regrets? What sorcery is this? Thing is, this recipe has such a variety of flavors, that once I reluctantly tried it, I couldn’t even identify all those tastes that made me hate eggplants in the first place. I was just taken away by the creamy risotto, juicy tomatoes and that unmistakable red hot chill pepper and transported right on a beach next to the Mediterranean Sea.
P.S.: If you are not keen on using the typical eggplants that everybody knows, make sure to try the Japanese eggplants. And don’t be fooled by their scrawny appearance.
- ½ kg of small eggplants
- 2 onions
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- 400 g. rice for risotto
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
- red hot chili pepper to taste
- vegetable broth also prepared with the nut or granular taste
- Salt to taste
- Peel the eggplant , wash, and then cut into cubes.
- Sauté the eggplant with a little of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
- When half cooked, removed from heat and set aside.
- Wash the tomatoes and peel them by dipping them in boiling water.
- Remove the seeds and cut the flesh into cubes
- Peel the onions. Then wash and chop finely
- In a saucepan, add a little oil and brown the chopped onions.
- Then, add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Complete with a little spicy chili
- Pour the rice into the pan with the tomatoes. Stir and let it cook for a few minutes.
- Add the hot broth, one ladle at a time.
- When the rice is almost ready, add the eggplant previously cooked.
- Remove the risotto with eggplant from heat.
- Pour a bit of olive oil, stir and let stand covered 2 or 3 minutes
What about you? Do you find the idea of eggplant with risotto appealing?